Monday, August 10, 2015

Sharon Springs Mourning Cover

Sometimes I just purchase a cover because it catches my eye as did this mourning cover from Sharon Springs, NY with the wonderful blue Double Circular Datestamp plus a Shield in Circle killer.  So that the killer can be seen even better, I used the retroReveal site to enhance my scan in black and white.  

Sharon Springs is in Schoharie County and was established in 1850.

I think I'll probably be searching now for more Shield killer examples from other US post offices. (August 11:  As I was working on the manuscript for an upcoming book on New York State Postmaster/County Cancels, I discovered I already had another shield: Highlands Falls from Orange County.  I've placed the illustration at the bottom of this blog entry.)









check out my other postal history blogs:




1 comment:

  1. The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. See the link below for more info.

    #catched
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete